In Azerbaijan, especially in rural areas, there exists a very powerful term for women who don’t follow the rules: ‘pis giz’ – or bad girl. For an Azerbaijani woman, being called a pis giz is more than just a gender slur. It can mean the total loss of respect in her community, ineligibility for marriage,… Read more »
Posts Tagged: rural
Stay connected with us
- Mao Kawada on Phone-charging shoes? Toto, we’re not in Kansas anymore
- Fahim Zada on Big data and development organizations: What happens when you move from theory to practice?
- Michael on Infographics: Gender-based violence in Uzbekistan
- syed zahid hussain on Working in development? Here are 6 things not to do on social media
- ahmed omar on Big data and development organizations: What happens when you move from theory to practice?
- RT @UNDP: 8.6% of council members in #Armenia are women, let's raise that number: http://t.co/rqEYb4Or9Z #iknowpolitics http://t.co/IlLT7YMuHX →, 52 mins ago
- RT @UNDPMK: 1 of 122 people in the world is currently a #refugee. Any one of us could face the risk of displacement. #WPD2015 http://t.co/LrnbJSLLCs →, 54 mins ago
- RT @UNDPAlbania: Meet Ergys,a young Roma photographer who has been assisted to boost his small bussiness @EU_Albania #MMSR #reporters http://t.co/47XYQkkVnV →, 54 mins ago
- RT @SIsmanovski: 1 of 5 #refugee women is pregnant. Imagine their ordeal to traverse 4000km on foot, without legal status. #WPD2015 https://t.co/8OlSrjX24Y →, 54 mins ago
- “‘Don’t speak, point!’” — @EthanZ How can art help us to #buildpeace? https://t.co/hB4fFbVy6X via @Medium http://t.co/zB6Q0dxFen →, 2 hours ago