In Azerbaijan, especially in rural areas, there exists a very powerful term for women who don’t follow the rules: ‘pis giz’ – or bad girl. For an Azerbaijani woman, being called a pis giz is more than just a gender slur. It can mean the total loss of respect in her community, ineligibility for marriage,… Read more »
Posts Tagged: rural
Stay connected with us
- Viveik Saigal on Can a mobile app help you be a responsible citizen?
- khalafalla on A review of Owen Barder’s talk on complexity and development
- Mira Djangaracheva on Towards a sustainable future in Kyrgyzstan
- Begench Yazlyyev on Is most development work invisible?
- i on Mapping NGO based social services in Uzbekistan: the first step towards big changes
- Biking, waste mgmt, pheasants & spelunking [phew] @UNDPGeorgia knows #GreenWednesday! Read: http://t.co/rDgDxF7HNA http://t.co/1HCVH2FWrN →, 45 mins ago
- MT @ungeorgia "Do the right things the right way” motto of our @FutureGov #innovation training: http://t.co/zdPDicI89I cc @UNDP_innovates →, 1 hour ago
- Congrats to @UNDPMK: A @UNGlobalPulse #BigDataClimate Challenge "project to watch" http://t.co/BBBO9noQSF #Climate2014 →, 14 hours ago
- Not just money: @patrickpijl on "profit with a purpose" & thinking like a designer http://t.co/f6im632iLx via @DIYtoolkit #socinn →, 16 hours ago
- Check it out: #HDR2014 launches tomorrow in #Ankara with @_cevdetyilmaz and @undpturkiye http://t.co/YVLvLn0EHf →, 16 hours ago